Before we say a final goodbye to 2008, I thought I’d join the trend and create my own “best of” lists for 2008.
Favorite Movies of 2008:
I do feel the need to throw out a few qualifiers. First and foremost, I admit my taste in movies is unique. (I believe the word my family uses is “weird”) Also, I didn’t see nearly as many movies in the theaters this year as I have in the past. Most of the movies I’ve seen have been on Netflix and it doesn’t seem right to include movies like “Annie Hall” on the best movies of 2008 just because I saw it for the first time in 2008. That also means that I didn’t see a number of movies that others have listed as great because I plan to Netflix them later (The Dark Knight, Milk) or, quite honestly because I have no interest whatsoever (Tropic Thunder)
All caveats aside, here is my list:
1. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
2. Sex and the City
3. Righteous Kill
5. Burn After Reading
Laura’s Favorite TV Moments of 2008:
1. “I can see Russia from my house.” Nothing, nothing, nothing tops the Saturday Night Live skit with Tina Fey as Sarah Palin and Amy Poehler as Hillary Clinton.
2. Jensen Ackles’ “Eye of the Tiger” video
3. The Opening Ceremonies of the Summer Olympics. (Except for the fake fireworks. I’m still bitter about the fake fireworks.)
4. The day after the election. (aka “The Day the election ads stopped.”)
5. Sarah Silverman’s video, “I’m ****ing Matt Damon”, shown on Jimmy Kimmel
(What? No Supernatural? Nope. I still love the actors and the characters, but this season has just strayed way too far from the original show that I used to love. I don’t really enjoy it enough to include in my “best of” list. I know that puts me in the minority, but on the plus side, I have been getting a lot of use out of my Season One and Season Two DVDs.)