Well I am now officially getting harassed by my friends who are reading my blog only to find out…nothing. (Except, of course, for the fact that I am not very good at maintaining a blog.) So, here are some of the highlights of my week:
1. I joined a writing critique group. A friend from Stonecoast, two of her friends and I met at a coffee shop last Sunday morning and shared some of our writing with each other for feedback and criticism. It was a lot of fun and very enlightening, so I’m going to be sharing my entire book with the group as well as meeting regularly to get feedback on small chunks.
2. I went to a poetry reading on Tuesday night. Actually, it was less of a poetry reading and more of karaoke for the literary set. A bunch of very, very brave people went on stage during the first hour and read their original material for a crowd of about thirty or so. There were some strong poets and some that were not quite to my taste. One or two, however, rocked with their passion and talent. After the first hour of amateurs, a professional, traveling poet group (who knew such a thing existed?) performed. And it really was a performance. I used to think poetry was nothing but dry, dusty words on a page but I am really enjoying the readings I’ve been attending lately.
3. I haven’t cracked my book club book yet (Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison.) I did, however, read several volumes of “Blue’s Clues”, a book about a bear who built a snowman and one about a rabbit who wanted to paint his house when I babysat my nephew.
4. The fourth season of Supernatural premiered on Thursday night. (Hurray!) For those of you who don’t watch Supernatural and mock my devotion to it (which includes pretty much everyone I know…) you may ignore this section. For everyone else, the thumbnail version is: Dean is out of hell, Sam can kill demons with his mind and Bobby just stands by and rocks. Also, there are three new recurring characters: An angel, a demon (who sadly can’t act) and a blind psychic. (Trust me, as much as I love this show, even I have to pause and consider the absurdity as I summarize…)
5. Finally, let me just say Tina Fey = Sarah Palin. Seriously, have they ever been seen in the same room together? I’m just saying.