Topic #1: Pretty v. Beautiful
I went to a book reading last week and the person introducing the author (Peter Behrens – rush out and buy his novel “Law of Dreams”!) commented that Peter writes beautiful sentences. The man then went on say (I’m paraphrasing) that there is a big difference between beautiful and pretty. Pretty is Robert Redford in The Sting. Beautiful is Marlon Brando in Streetcar Name Desire. Pretty is an aesthetic description while beauty has a strength, a depth and a gravity that pretty can’t reach.
I love words.
Topic #2: Lawrence of Arabia
I watched Lawrence of Arabia for the first time the other night. Talk about your beautiful movies! Here are some of my random thoughts about this random topic:
- I’d really like to ride a camel. Once.
- I need a map from that time period b/c I’m not entirely clear where they meant by “Arabia.” Wait before you mock me. I do have a general sense of geography, I just wasn’t sure where the Arabia of WWI matched up with the lines of current day countries and borders.
- I had no idea how many stars were in that movie – Peter O’Toole, Omar Sharif, Anthony Quinn, Alec Guinness, Claude Rains… just to name a few.
- I really need to do some research on World War I, because I felt amazingly dumb while watching the British campaigns and not having a real sense of what was going on. My knowledge of WWI history consists of:
- Reading “All Quiet on the Western Front” in High School
- Germany = bad
- The assassination of Archduke Ferdinand = very bad
- Sinking of SS Lusitania = also very bad
- Omar Sharif. (I know I listed him already, but sorry, he deserved his own bullet. I am now mildly in love and have already ordered Dr. Zhivago and Funny Lady from Netflix)
- In the days before computer animation, how did they get their cameras set up to pan miles of desert with pristine sand and capture one or two figures coming over the dunes in the horizon? This movie didn’t win Best Picture for nothing.
Topic #3: Music to Work Out By
I noticed something while I was on the treadmill tonight:
- Kelly Clarkson’s song, “My Life Would Suck Without You” runs 3 minutes 31 seconds and is the perfect tempo for a light jog.
- Bonnie Tyler’s song, “Total Eclipse of the Heart” runs 6 minutes 41 seconds and is the perfect tempo for a fast walk.
These songs played back to back three times make for the PERFECT thirty minute workout for me. If, however, I ever work up to 6 minutes jogging for every three minutes walking, I’m screwed.
Topic #4: List Making
Given that I am such a disorganized person in my real life, I find it slightly disconcerting that I blog in lists so often. However, my sister will be proud of me.